Saturday, February 20, 2010

It's Tax Time!

It's amazing how having a baby makes tax season seem like a holiday! After owing a large chunk of money last year, it's great to see that we will actually be getting a decent refund this time around. Now, my dad taught me to always do my taxes twice just to make sure everything is correct. This year, I am SO glad I followed his advice! I calculated our refund using the TurboTax Online Free Edition as well as H&R Block at Home Free. You do not need an account to use these programs; in fact, you don't have to create one until you are actually ready to file. Both programs are free to use, include free federal e-filing, and charge around $30 for state e-filing. However, H&R Block found us a credit we were eligible for that was nowhere to be seen in the TurboTax program!

I would definitely recommend taking the time to double check your return using a second program - it was completely worth it for us. If you really don't have time to do your taxes twice, my personal recommendation is to go with H&R Block. I have filed with them for the past few years and have had great experiences with their online edition. Happy Tax Time :)

UPDATE: A third option is TaxACT, which is also free to use with free federal e-file, and a charge of only $14.95 for state e-file. I cannot vouch for this site as I have not used it, but I wanted to make the option known. Do you have any experience (good or bad) with TaxACT?

No comments:

Post a Comment